A lot of us are actually missing the one fact which the whole Social Media Industry sits on, “FUN”.
Story of ‘facebook’, I guess all the readers know it, if not I encourage you to watch “Social Network – The Movie”, the story was a true depiction of a guy who just wants to have some fun. Hence it all began. Blogging for days, months, years & one day we are confined to 140 characters and clearly are asked to be smart, hence twitter showed up. I’ve devised 10 things done by brands on facebook and twitter, which are a total fail strategy and because it is not fun anymore, it looks bold to my eyes, therefore cannot ignore. Following are the 10 mistakes made by brands while using Social Media:
2) Not having a ‘help’ account for twitter & those who have are not doing a great job.
3) Focusing more on pictures and albums, which is a total bummer.
4) Not engaging with fans and followers with-in a certain time frame.
5) Writing formal and professional language, it’s not a corporate communication class, it’s Social Media, yes brands are allowed to troll at times. It’s not a fail.
6) Competitions, 90% of all the brands have a common facebook competition. Why can’t you have a platform based competition? Unless, you are saying that facebook and twitter are all the same to you.
7) Delete and re-post: If you’ve made a typo, use it to strengthen and come up with a punch-line and crack some people. Do not delete that stuff. This is an era of “Trollism”.
8) Promoting one platform on the other: Most failure strategy of all, actually. Never market your facebook page on twitter account or vice-versa, for obvious reasons.
9) Timings of the posts: Time is a crucial factor in generating the sense of engagement you are expecting, so manage that wisely.
10) Lastly, encourage your own employees to promote the brand and be quite proud of the same because a saying that is strongly followed “Change comes from with-in”.
So, the above also hold tips and tricks to engagement, check your current policy of engagement and try something new. Don’t be active for one day and nothing comes for the rest of the days in a week.
Bottom-line: No need to be extremely professional in your writing, be decent that would be enough because the fact that everyone needs to remember is “behind my profile, it’s me, behind a brand’s profile also, there is no machine, it’s someone like me”